Complaints Officer

A formal procedure is in place for dealing with member complaints. The Complaints Officer is responsible for dealing with all maters within 90 days. To lodge a complaint, please contact the Complaints Officer on:

Telephone: 1300 033 732


Mail: PO Box 22, Belconnen, ACT 2616

Please address your complaints to the Complaints Officer to ensure immediate attention.

Your appeal rights

Appeal against a decision made by Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation (trustee of DFRDB) or by its delegate. You can ask Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation to reconsider a decision it, or its delegates, have made. In the administration of DFRDB, the main classes of decisions made are those regarding:

  • invalidity retirement;
  • invalidity classification/reclassification; and
  • eligibility of dependants.

Your request must be in writing and be lodged within 30 days of your having been advised of the decision. If you are disputing a decision of Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation or its delegate, please specify the grounds of your appeal. Once an application is accepted, preliminary investigations will normally be carried out. In invalidity cases, such investigations might include seeking additional reports from doctors involved in the case and, where applicable, sending you for a further medical examination at our expense.

When all information is received, details will be considered and a decision will be made. You will then be notified of the outcome and provided with written reasons for the decision.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome on reconsideration of such a decision, you can appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT). Please note even if you win your appeal at the AAT, legal costs are not reimbursed.

Freedom of information

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act provides you with a general right of access to information held by government agencies. The FOI Act, however, provides some exemptions which are necessary to protect matters of essential public interest and the private affairs of individuals.

You may exercise this right to obtain documents held by us which relate to you or your entitlement to superannuation benefits. Please contact us if you are uncertain on any DFRDB matter.

More help