You can make spouse contributions to MilitarySuper on behalf of your spouse. You spouse becomes a MilitarySuper beneficiary and their contributions are kept in a separate account. Once you contribute, these contributions belong to your spouse; their benefit will be paid as a lump sum (not a pension) and you have no right to it.

No tax is paid on spouse contributions on entry to MilitarySuper as spouse contributions are paid from after tax money.

You and your spouse should also keep super contribution limits in mind.


To receive spouse contributions, your spouse must share a marital or couple relationship with you. A marital or couple relationship exists if you have been living together as husband, wife or partner on a permanent and bona fide domestic basis for a continuous period of at least three years. If the period is less than three years, MilitarySuper must consider evidence to determine if spouse contributions can be received. Evidence includes but is not limited to establishing that:

  • your spouse is wholly or substantially dependent on you
  • you are legally married
  • your relationship has been registered under a law of a state or territory as a prescribed kind of relationship
  • you have a child born of the relationship or adoped during it
  • you have a child of both of you within the meaning of the Family Law Act 1975, or
  • you jointly own a home which is your usual residence.

You and your spouse will be advised if you can make spouse contributions to MilitarySuper. If so, your spouse will also receive their MilitarySuper spouse account reference number.

We'll also tell you if your spouse is not eligible to receive contributions.